15 April 2018

Reminiscing

Can you recall a time in your past, when life was more complicated than it is today? I can't; whenever I look back, life always seemed to be simpler before.

I try to figure out why. My life--like yours, I'm sure--has gone through many cycles of ups and downs. Surely, I'm bound to find myself at a moment where life seems to be simpler at the present than it was in the past. And yet, this never ever seems to be the case.

I guess the answer is this: as we weather every storm in life and come out more mature, we ultimately come to the realization that every trial always looks worse than it actually is. This is why the past always looks rosier than the present.

So rather than reminiscing with despair in the thought that life was so much better in the past, perhaps we would be better off reminiscing with gratitude and hope. If there's one thing that the past can teach us, it's this: life today is always as simple as it will look tomorrow.


No comments: